Patients who eliminate gluten from their diet may experience some or all of the following:
- Respite from symptoms associated with Coeliac Disease, which is usually enough to convince sufferers to remain gluten-free.
- Improved digestion, including a reduction in bloating, cramping, and diarrhea.
- Weight loss. Some patients experience weight loss due to replacing glutenous starches with healthier choices.
- Some manufacturers include more fats and sugar to make gluten-free foods taste better, so some people may gain weight.
- Lower nutrient intake. Many whole-grains are a good source of fibre, vitamins B and D, and Iron. When eliminating these grains the patient needs to include other sources in order to avoid becoming nutrient deficient.
- Some patients notice results within 1 or 2 days, while others may take several months to experience a reduction in symptoms.